Corbett Barr & The State of the Creator Economy
On this week’s show Chase and Corbett Barr discuss media, independent digital business, and the state of the creator economy. (Table of contents below)
- Western Rise Clothing… use code CHASE
- Pakt Bags… use code CHASE10
- Bonus training about this episode’s content
- Matterful Monthly emails for modern movers
- 3:00 Why are people easy to trick, and how is it that creators rule the world?
- 5:54 “Successful digital media.” One example: The Social Dilemma. Jaron Lanier is the name we were looking for.
- 13:00 Expertise is the product (still).
- 17:19 Proving relevancy in a world without gatekeepers.
- 18:03 Owning your content vs renting platform space: 3 digital elements you can actually own.
- 20:00 Working the Work: developing consistent creative rhythms and the “Viability Ratio.”
- 28:00 Resonance resonates… but how does it work? Example Corbett describes.
- 33:00 Book publishing is the archetype (still).
- 37:00 Working the Work: developing rhythms of accomplishment.
- 44:07 “I have an opinion” as a prerequisite for platform.
- 49:00 Artist fires and the John Baldessari documentary you need to watch.
- 53:47 You are waiting too long to get started (or not waiting long enough).
- 58:00 Digital authenticity: making your outside look like your inside.
- 59:20 Organizing, conscientiousness and this Rectix SNL commercial.
- 1:01:00 Working the Work: STARTING it working vs KEEPING it working.
- 1:03:23 Francis Bacon on Arena is a thrilling piece of 70’s media.
- 1:06:00 Are you (still) imitating other platform successes?
- 1:08:00 Speaking with your own voice… is simple, not easy (still).
- 1:11:00 Completely deleting your public history on the internet… here’s how Corbett did it, how it’s going.
- 1:22:00 What Corbett and Chase got right when they built Fizzle.co.
- 1:29:00 Corbett’s productivity tools mentioned: Bear (notes), Trello (projects) and Front (email). RoamResearch also discussed
- 1:41:00 Jobs to be Done is (still) a worthwhile framework to grok. Here’s a primer
- 1:42:00 Corbett’s Jura espresso machine
- win free gear: https://matterful.co/free-stuff
- matterful: https://matterful.co
- patreon: http://patreon.com/chasereeves
- the podcast: https://chasereeves.co/podcast
- insta: http://instagram.com/chasewreeves
- tweeter: http://twitter.com/chasewreeves
- spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/chasereeves
- gear: http://kit.co/chasereeves